Seniors in Naples and all around the country fall prey to scams. From financial scams to scams regarding love, seniors are often the target of scammers. Consider that 20% of seniors have been financially taken advantage of. That’s a number in the millions. Knowing what these scams entail will help you and your senior loved ones stay safe.
- 20% of Americans who are over 65 have been financially taken advantage of.
- The Orlando Sentinel points out that elderly people lose out on about $3 billion to scammers every year.
- The improper use of an older person’s funds, property or assets —are between 80 and 89 years old and live alone.
- Cybercrimes against older adults have increased five-times since 2014, costing more than $650 million in losses per year.
- In 2018 alone, more than 21,000 people were conned into sending $143 million in online romance scams via social media or dating apps.
- Debit card scams make up 32.9% of elder fraud cases.